PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2012, 23:07
ncleflights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyman771 - I think your slightly inaccurate in your assumption that the routes are determined by the living standards and disposable income of folks living in the NE. The statistical data used by aviation analysts when analysing possible new routes actually reflects the opposite, of those in full time employment the disposable income of people in the NE is in many cases far higher than that of many other parts in the country.

I think that the factor that most influences routes which are operated from NCL has more to do with the fact that as a region we have a smallish population and a couple of years ago when NCL achieved much higher passenger figures we did very well in getting folks from the South East Scotland. However once management at Edinburgh got their act together and routes developed these passengers went North to Edinburgh rather than South to Newcastle. The decline in numbers does roughly match the increase to the North of us.

The simple fact remains that as a small nation we have two many airports

On the subject of New York, I personally believe that management at NCL are far to pre-occupied with getting this route. Mr Mason and Mr Laws do at every interview now 'bang on' about how this route remains the airports number 1 target. It does sometimes make me wonder if NCL Managements time would be better spent chasing more realistic opportunities. As a region we need better business links to cites in Germany especially as Germany appears to be going to further secure its position as the economic and political powerhouse of Eurpoe. Data suggests that certainly Frankfurt is one destination that many businesses want and indeed think we need.

Last edited by ncleflights; 6th Jan 2012 at 23:19.