PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Someone in China upping the ante
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2012, 21:09
Soab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 6/2 is too long to be away from family, particularly if you have young children as I do.
It may work for divorcees or married with kids grown up and a wife that prefers you away for so long.

I notice some agencies are even offering 8/2 off. They have to be kidding, perhaps thats why they are always advertising, as no one is applying or staying. Use it to get current then leave.

Many airlines monthly flying hours are around 80 a month before overtime. The maximum may be 100 hours, but that should not be the target. I worked for an airline that tried their best to roster as close as they could to 100 hours and the result is you get burned out.
It is sustainable when you are younger, but expect problems during your medical renewals as you get above 40 working those hours for many years.

I know an aircraft engineer that commutes with 6/6 weeks. Yet they certainly dont offer pilots that option.

Longhaul pilots could easily be rostered their 80 hours flying a month on a better deal than 6/2 weeks.

Airlines have offered the least pay and conditions they can and during the lean times and expansion of low cost/pay airlines in recent years the dollar value of airline pilot pay has tanked over the years, its time it improved.
If they can employ pilots on the 6/2 contracts they will. If no one apply or accepts they will offer better options.
Notice the increased salaries offered over the last few months, lets hope it continues.

I would happily work a 2/2 pattern on less money on the proviso I was not working my 80 hrs a month, otherwise roster 3/2 etc, 80 hrs a month flying and full pay.

Unfortunately it wont happen though unless pilots stop accepting such contracts.

Last edited by Soab; 6th Jan 2012 at 21:31.