PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget carrier having a laugh
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2002, 10:53
worriedwife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you
I think what he'd like most is to do is police or air ambulance for job satisfaction. I've looked into this and he is going to be 500 hours short which would mean going to oil rigs first to get hours up then applying (neither of us like this option re: danger etc). Also, they prefer pilots with mainly mil. hours + there will be many with a lot more hours than him.

He is not too bothered about money if he enjoys his job, but the idea is if you can't do your ideal flying then you say 'show me the money' and go to airlines and be able to afford nice holidays instead. He'd be happy to stay rotary - I think he will just go for the one where he is most likely to get a job. Also you have to bear in mind even if you are unemployed for a year or so when you finally get an airline job you will easily be able to 'pay yourself back' the money you spent on training and being unemployed whereas in rotary the wages are lower so it's more of a financial gamble, ie. you get less return for your investment. Anyone know which companies other than BASL, McAlpines & Police/Medical Aviation Services recruit heli pilots?

I'll get him to read all your advice when he gets back. We have til xmas to make a final decision and stick to it so I or he may be back for more advice later. Better go, this is quite addictive - and I'm not even a pilot!