PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industry best practice during abnormals
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 12:12
Alternate Law

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks all for responses.

B&S - yes the role changing can be an issue. I have spent entire Vsim sessions with 'new' crew (ex-744) just rehearsing the pantomime. Then in the heat of the moment, both guys try to reply to a radio call as we forget who has what.

I did my original 340 transition in Toulouse - much simpler but as 4dogs said, they have a fairly shallow and pre-conceived idea about line operations and the reality of FBW aircraft.

Being a 'legacy' airline, we have P1s of 20 to 40 years service, and P2s of five to 15 years service - so cockpit gradient is hugely variable and this type of SOP guideline is to stop the 'old bullets' doing their any-old thing, and getting the young co-jo's to pay attention.

Monitoring throughout all phases of flight is an issue that can improve throughout the operation - and I'm sure not just ours. Analysing the complete lack of effective input from the PM (and then the P1) during the AF447 debacle gives one the chills.

So far, I take it, most airlines follow what the airframers suggest.

When things are not standard, SOPs no longer by definition apply, then Non-Normal Ops do - which is what is outlined in post 1. One size does not fit all, but guidance for when it completely falls apart needs an anchor point.