PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Industry best practice during abnormals
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2012, 09:23
4dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil OEMs - False Gods?

OPEN DES,

Manufacturers build aircraft. They test them and develop generic procedures, predominantly based on the personal whims and pecadillos of those folks employed at that time in the Operations Department, and on the presumption that "one size fits all".

Operators live with the reality of their operating environment and their crew demographics. They have to manage the day to day risks.

The reason everyone treats the OEM as the operational God is that they are the most obvious target to sue - most regulators and operators choose not to stick their heads up into the line of fire. But I guess Airbus' "it cannot be stalled" and "you do not have to learn about that in our aircraft" are little sermons that they wish they hadn't shoved down everyone's throat. And I wonder what the operators who blindly followed them will offer as a defence to the apparent failure to conduct due diligence, etc...

Stay Alive,

PS Alternate Law: I think it is well structured and offers a good risk management platform - provided it does not become a rigidity in its own right!