PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Budget carrier having a laugh
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2002, 17:33
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
worriedwife, you're very welcome, glad to be of help.

A couple more thoughts - if money is a worry (when is it not?) has he looked into getting his civvy helicopter licences? I know it can be a can of worms with instrument ratings etc., but obviously worth considering if at all cheaper. Employment still hard to find and less secure in the rotary world I know, but hopefully with his experience worth considering even if just to discount it out of hand.

I would be very wary about paying for a type rating - again simply because he's already an experienced aviator and a company should be glad to get his skills. With any upturn, airlines will be hiring who will pay for his type rating. I know of at least one major UK independent which has hired a number of ex-army chopper pilots, and hold them in high regard. (Not hiring at the moment I'm afraid.)

In my opinion the bottom line would be that he takes the route into civvy flying that costs the least money - if that's rotary then he should stay with that. He could then gradually do the fixed wing bit while still being employed as a pilot and getting used to the civvy world. Believe me, the airlines aren't all they're cracked up to be. Again, I know a few ex army and navy chopper pilots who were quite shocked at the amount of time they have to spend at work - even compared to the military. (Obviously doesn't compare to tours in Bosnia and the like, but certainly much less enjoyable and much harder work than they imagined!)

Anyway, good luck to you both.