PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L-188 Engine Start Callouts and Correct Order?
Old 31st Dec 2011, 16:42
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C

I think that the Capt/FO starts are due to some airlines changed things around in the cockpit to do away with the FE. I think that was just fine on a good day but when the L188 started to play up the workload went up by a factor of ten, it was about then that you found out why Lockheed built the aircraft for three crew.
You are right. The procedure I posted is for a 2 crew aircraft. If there is an FE then he would start all 4 with the Captain/FO monitoring depending on which side was being started. The calls are the same.

You are also correct about the work load. The 2 crew STC was smoked through the regulator with out any real cockpit work load analysis being done, especially as a working autopilot is not required. It is a very busy airplane even when everything is working........

Turning of the bleed before disconnecting the external air source is also our SOP. There is a one way valve that is supposed to protect the external air source port, but it can fail which could be deadly for the ground crew if they try to disconnect with the hose still pressurized.

Overall a true pilots airplane and a delight to handle. Too bad the impending wing fatigue management AD will probably ground them all soon.