PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seperation Standards, Near Misses, ATSB Reports - SAFETY Compromised??
Old 31st Dec 2011, 08:57
gobbledock

Location: Alabama, then Wyoming, then Idaho and now staying with Kharon on Styx houseboat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pony poo indeed

Kharon,
Couldn't agree more about the ATSB issue. There are some very talented investigators there, but the number of the 'old school' is gradually diminishing, much to the bureaucratic managements delight. The ATSB has been short staffed for years, try the last 5 to 10 in particular. In that same period of time air travel has grown, low cost carrier services grown rapidly, airline CEO's have become even bigger morons and the Regulator who can't even bring in a set of rules in a 23 year time frame has become an even bigger basket case than ever in it's pathetic history.

This has lead to more accidents/incidents and a greater workload in which the ATSB have to trudge through. The poor investigators have to then deal with bureaucratic management who fudge the figures to make the organization smell like roses while behind the scenes it doesn't.

Then we have the issue of a Regulator hell bent on nailing industry to a cross (select members of industry that is) while being run by sycophants. Even the ATSB in the past 18 months has started handing out section 32's like lollies because CASA is murdering any industry trust and the only way the ATSB can get people to talk is to flick them a S32. So what does that tell you about the Regulator? A sad state of affairs indeed.

Up-into-the-air, you make a good post. Our industry has a lot to ponder over and reflect upon. There is always hope that 2012 will be a better one for aviation, but I have yet to see even an inkling of that.

I shall leave 2011 and enter into 2012 the way I see it - TICK TOCK TICK TOCK.