PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Scheme Failing To Produce Safe Pilots?
Old 25th Dec 2011, 22:38
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
The trouble, Dark Night, is that when terrestrial automated transport experiences a fault, it fails gracefully and stops on the road. Even a ship can often anchor.

Aircraft don't have that characteristic when they fail.

Furthermore, there is the little question of authority and responsibility in the event of an accident.

I would prefer that a knowledgeable person, who is going to die along with the passengers if anything goes wrong, supervises the despatch and conduct of the flight. I prefer this because of the phenomenon of diffusion of responsibility will preclude a court attaching blame to criminally negligent individuals associated with the despatch of said aircraft.

In risk-taking literature, diffusion of responsibility occurs when individual members of a group feel less personal responsibility for potential failure in the pursuit of risky options than if acting alone.

Diffusion of responsibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose we could solve that problem by fitting the engineers, despatchers and operations managers of said unmanned flights with explosive collars that would be automatically triggered by the aircrafts demise.

Last edited by Sunfish; 25th Dec 2011 at 22:49.