PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue times at ORNGE
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2011, 14:18
grumpytroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and furthermore..

Originally Posted by tottigol
BestofteWest, ORNGE moved to 139s because of their need to fly in IMC where known icing conditions exist. To do so, they exchanged their antique S-76A models for AW139s, Astars of any flavor or any other VFR single where not even in their nightmares.
A similar program in a different Canadian region is also flying 139s.
The possible internal squabbles of management vs medical or cockpit crews are just that, internal (as I am quite sure that Grumpy knows given that his CLA expired two years ago without even hint of a renewal).
Whomever would rather fly in an inferior or not suitable airframe for a specific mission just to get paid more money ought to take a good and hard look at that face in the mirror in the morning before blaming someone else for safety or lack thereof.
Dear Tott, What is a CLA? Is that some sort of a pilots license? I am honored that you took the time to look me up...somewhere. For the record though, I have an ATP with current first class medical. I am writing this witty response from my current EMS base, BK outside the door, med crew at the ready, blue suit zipped up tight. ( i do chuckle and wonder what is meant by a "hint" of renewal)

I gather you take alot of this ORNGE stuff personally. Sorry for that. No one has questioned the safety or competence of the crews (athough you imply that we here in the states should feel honored to fall under your close scrutiny). I have read many fine articles about the program in professional journals and am very impressed. The paint job is wonderful.

Clearly from the information provided on this thread, the problems are of a financial nature. In is ironic that, as your comments point out, the apparent weakness you see in the US system is also financial but in a different direction. You don't feel that any helicopter other that something as grand as the 139 should ever be considered for EMS under any circumstances. I, of course, disagree. Instead of beating up the yanks as part of your argument, why not just admit that there is a happy place in the middle of all of this for everyone? There is no point in repeating the logical explanation provided by HueyDog or Best of the West.

Here is my final take of the subject. Ornge needs to gets its priorities straight and its financial house in order so the patients and taxpayers can get the service they deserve. It has nothing to do with the pilots, their skills, training or competence. I hope thats not too controversial.

I copied this statement from one of the stories. if this doesn't make you shake your head then nothing will. Dr. Mazza's salary, 1.6 million per year. Pretty good for a non-profit. He is now on medical leave. This entire story is quite shocking all the way around.

MacDonald emailed the Star Monday to cancel a scheduled interview with ORNGE’s president Chris Mazza, saying that “we are not satisfied that the Star intends to fairly and responsibly report on ORNGE.” MacDonald’s email came the day the Star published a story revealing that a group of ORNGE executives, including Mazza, work for a for-profit consulting company that has a $6.7 million contract to provide marketing services for AgustaWestland, the company that sold 10 helicopters to ORNGE for $120 million.

Cheers

Last edited by grumpytroll; 25th Dec 2011 at 14:39.