PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Scheme Failing To Produce Safe Pilots?
Old 24th Dec 2011, 12:43
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand that QF A330 drivers have been briefed by Airbus as to the AF447 crash following the recovery of the "black" boxes. What I have been told (second-hand) is that the problem was the iced pitot tubes were sending corrupt information to the computers. This in turn prevented the computers in protecting the aircraft from going into a stall.

When the autopilot disconnected in the turbulence the aircraft started to lose height. The crew followed their trained procedure by setting the throttles and holding back stick. However as the computers were receiving corrupt information as to speed they did not protect the aircraft and the aircraft stalled and remained stalled because of the back pressure on the side-stick.

Now we can argue all we like about how we would have recognised that the aircraft was stalled and we would have lowered the nose etc etc. But lets place ourselves in that cockpit; its a dark and stormy night, we are fatigued as it is a flight on the back-side of the clock and the aircraft is not responding in the way it should to what we have been trained to do. A test pilot may have thought something along the lines of......"well that's not working, let's try something else"......but an airline crew stepping outside of SOPs' and training?

Airline economics will continue to see cadets being trained in Australia. The problem for the industry is to see that the lowest cost training model, as evidenced by Jetstar, does not become the standard.

For those who believe that pilots will only discuss at length incidents or crashes involving cadets I suggest that you get out of the DG&P site and visit Rumours & News where they will find crashes and incidents of all kinds dissected at length.