PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - go around
Thread: go around
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 10:46
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this topic has come up again. I would like to ask a question to those professionals who have restated the important and entirely understandable point that the last priority of the flight deck crew in the case of a go-around is communicating what has happened to the passengers.

My question to you is: if there is no time to make a PA to passengers between initiating the go-around and touching-down from the second approach (and if you say this is a real possibility, I believe you), would it not be possible to explain what happened either while you taxi-in or, failing that if there is still no time, once you park up at the gate?

I agree that the PA from the SCCM in the initial stage of the go-around is a good idea, but it does not IMHO substitute an explanation from the pilots in the eyes of most passengers. (Also, if the standardised wording is: 'The captain will provide more information when he has time' and he then doesn't, I suggest that reflects badly).

Those who know a bit about aviation understand that a go-around is a safe and routine manoeuvre. I've never experienced one, but if I do (and part of me would like to!), I won't be concerned - I'll be relieved I'm being flown by true professionals. But those of us with that mindset are always the minority in an aircraft's cabin. Even if there is no explanation from the FD, I'll still disembark knowing that my safety was not jeopardised. But I bet many passengers will disembark thinking 'Well, something went very wrong there, didn't it? I'm not sure I'll fly with this outfit again'.

My point is: is it not always worth making sure those less-informed passengers leave the aircraft understanding why there was a go-around rather than leaving them to go home and tell the tale of their near-miss? And before you come back with 'flight safety before happy customer', I hear you and understand you .