PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Air Tender
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2011, 05:52
belowMDA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The accusation that Air NZ won't touch the place when the weather is forecast to be poor is not historically accurate in my opinion. Personally I have launched there many a time where the forecast indicated minimal, if no chance of getting in. In these cases despatch has been contacted and, while leaving the decision to the PIC, have expressed the companies desire for us to give it a shot. I have been pulled in off call/reserve to operate a recovery flight the day following a failed attempt to get in. So it is also not a policy to muck people around with cancelled services, more likely the fact we don't often have spare aircraft sitting around to be able to send off to pick up the pieces at the drop of a hat.
As to the accusation that Air NZ will do nothing to market the place or ensure a successfull commercial operation is also lacking in facts. I see plenty of marketing here in NZ for Norfolk so there's no obvious reason why they wouldn't in Oz too. They are going to do what they can to make money out of the place. The federal government is unlikely to subsidise the place to the extent that Air NZ can make a profit from the subsidy, more likely just not lose barrow loads.
In summary I really do think they are going to do what they can to make this a success.