PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Scheme Failing To Produce Safe Pilots?
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 04:48
JustJoinedToSearch

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what is the 'fix' then? How will airlines be able to mould pilots into having the capabilities, behaviours and competencies that they are looking for?
Your constructive thoughts?
Well first of all by all reports the 'scheme' cadets (as oppsed to the old QF program) have neither the capability or competency to be what they are meant to be, a back up 'captain' when the situation requires it. All they have is the required behaviour, i.e. "Give us money" and "Fulfil the requirement to have some appropriately documented flesh in the 'other' seat".

As for my constructive thoughts:
Contrary to popular belief there are actually guys in GA who can take their valuable experience and still conform to SOPs etc of the airlines. I'm sure if Virgin opened up recruitment, there would be a hell of a lot of replies, at least some of who would be suitable.

In house training, instead of farming them off to some 3rd party provider where you have little control/input into how they are trained (beyond the standard airline specific things) is almost certainly the best way to go, especially if you insist on using no experience 'cadets' who will likely stuggle.

Proper cadet programs are an excellent source of potential captains. A highly competetive selection process means you are able to get your pick of the bunch. Spending a year or two getting industry experience and then a few years in the back as an SO gaining airline experience without being the first line of defence, means that you end up with a supply of experienced, quailty FO's who have a much better chance of performing under pressure.

The only problem I have with the proper cadet scheme is that they might be lacking in the real, by yourself, command experience that is invaluable (depending on where they do their 'industry experience') which would be a disadvantage.

Safety isn't cheap. Never has been, never will be. Unfortunately Jetstar are the very definition of cheap, and safety really isn't important to them.

Personally I think we are going to go full circle in a few years and after some hull losses 'safe' will become sexy again and people will be willing to pay for it. I would just rather the government pull their finger out and prevent deaths instead of responding to them. But what are the chances of that?