PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making the leap from PPL to CPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2002, 16:53
Maximum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 6.3hrs through the PPL(A) to date
there are enough hurdles already in the way without my apparent, soon-to-be colleagues trying to put me off.
Why do I get strange feedback from pilots who generally try to put me off?
Well, you make it sound like all you need is the desire, some books, a bit of study, do the course....and hey presto! Professional pilot!

Those of us who have earned the right to our ivory towers will give you realistic feedback, which may sound negative to you, but which actually comes from hard experience. You don't know what it's really like to earn a living as a pilot - we do.

soon-to-be colleagues
You're a goddam student PPL with 6.3 hours! Why are you planning what you'll do when you're an instructor??? Please, just take it step by step.

There's nothing more irritating in my book than a student who doesn't act like one. It's like the new first officer I'm training who tells me all the things he's going to do differently when he's a captain - maybe even when he's in management - and he can't yet even hack a single engine go-around.

Best student - capable but slightly underconfident.

I wish you all the best in your flying, but remember those of us who earn our living doing this have earned the right to be somewhat "testy" with our flying "juniors". Think of us as crusty old seadogs and you'll get the idea.