PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 16th Dec 2011, 23:30
Di_Vosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day again Pilotchute

I have worked in HR and if I sent 200 applicants to interview at a company and only 30 were found suitable I would have lost that account before I could blink!
Agree 100%!

But consider what kind of filtering your employment agency would have done before sending off your applicants? Have you ever in your previous job filtered 30 out of 200 (say) so that you could send that 30 off to a potential employer?

Qlink isn't getting their applicants from an employment agency. They're getting their applications directly from individuals who have the required mimimum hours and qualifications applicable at the time.

Back in the day (love that saying ) the average person getting into the likes of Qlink or Rex had over 4000 hours often including turbine time. These people had already had several years in GA, many GA employers, and had been through several interviews and jobs before applying to the larger regionals.

I would be guessing that that type of applicant is now rare at Qlink and Rex. A lot of the newer applicants haven't been through a professional interview process before, and this can show up in an interview. Many of them don't have extensive GA time and/or "living away from mum and dad" experience. They often lack maturity and that lack of maturity shows in the interviews.

I'm saying this because for some of our newer pilots (the ones getting through) Qlink is their first employer! For some others it is their second (their first being the flying school where they learned to fly).

My guess is that this is the main reason why there is a high failure rate during the Qlink application process.

My 2c

DIVOSH!