PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Scheme Failing To Produce Safe Pilots?
Old 16th Dec 2011, 11:12
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my training days, it was hurled manuals, accompanied by language that would make a sailor blush, and you became used to being called a stupid pr%ck. In fact when they were pleasant, you wondered what was going on. This of course was from the hard schools, the Skippers that had been Bomber Command pilots, they had short fuses if you stuffed up in anyway, and we learnt quickly and surprisingly efficiently,
One sincerely hopes that the sort of screaming skull former RAF pilots who hurl manuals at frightened students has not carried over to your personal methods of instruction. Not all military pilots carry on like that. There are nutters (military and civil trained) in every flying organisation and your experience proves it.

The worst I ever struck in my 737 career was a Boeing instructor pilot from Seattle. Although that was nigh 30 years ago, at a recent reunion we discussed striking a campaign medal for all those pilots who had flown more than 50 hours with that instructor. It was to be called the "Menen Star" after the hotel on Nauru where we drank and lived.
It was also decided to add a "Clasp" to this medal for all pilots who had been grabbed around the throat by this Boeing check captain.

Despite Teresa's Green horrifying experience of having wartime pilots throwing manuals around the cockpit at him, I can assure him that breed of "instructor" has hopefully gone forever - in more ways than one. Keen and enthusiastic students can be destroyed by those idiots. I was lucky because one of my instructors was a former Lancaster bomber pilot with a DFC and a more gentle lovely instructor you be hard to find. Rest in Peace Syd Gooding old chap.