PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar Cadet Scheme Failing To Produce Safe Pilots?
Old 15th Dec 2011, 05:42
Dash1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had some experience in a previous life flying with cadets from a major airline gaining industry experience in a type much smaller than the A320. The majority operated to a high procedural standard when the conditions were fine but quickly became 'situationally challenged' when faced with adverse wx or approaches requiring additional planning and preparation. As with any supervisory/training role knowing your own limits and how far to let someone else take the aircraft to a point where you can recover a bad picture is the key. This is where I think the training system in Jetstar is letting these Captains down if these cadets are out there requiring supervision above and beyond what would be considered normal in an Experienced RPT two pilot crew. I can sympathize with the extra workload being placed on the Captain in this incident and in fact all the Jetstar Captains who have to operate in this environment. To his credit he did get the aircraft out of a bad position and safely back on the ground. To quote BB during the senate enquiry, 'Our cadets are only flying with our most experienced Captains' Thank f#%k for that. I thought this was RPT not SPI (Single Pilot Interuptions).