PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning mistakes
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2011, 12:50
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Good post Aware, It neatly sums up a number of observations I have made about pilot types. I have noticed from time to time, that the pilots with the most interesting and varied experience, can seem the most quiet about it. The aviation work I do, sometime pairs me flying with pilots of awesome backgrounds, but to meet them, you'd never think it.

On the other hand, hang around a weekend fly in, and there will inevitably be a piot flying something flashy, very proud he made it there from a hundred miles away, and just past a hundred hours flying time. Accomplishments to be proud of, for that stage in that pilot's career, but in context, that pilot must remind themselves that the now emerging self confidence is luring them into trouble, if they are not increasingly careful

I can say with a weird sense of embarrassment and accomplishment, that I have more hours doing things wrong in planes than many pilots will fly in total time. How lucky am I that I never bent a plane, and often I learned not to do that again! Further to that, I have been able to pass along the results of my bad experience when checking out other pilots.

The more I fly, the more I see how I could fly better. In particular when another pilot, often less experienced, demonstrates a better way. I still make mistakes, so I try to assure that those which are going to happen, like it or not, have the smallest possible affect on safety, while I get the important stuff right.