PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning mistakes
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2011, 08:00
Aware

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilots come in all shapes and abilities. Ive been flying since 1983 but always been a hobby as I had another career although I am an instructor an examiner and have flown at some very good operations. There are many bold ego types in flying which makes it tedious some times. Thats opposite to me as I am quite quiet and not bold at all.

But successsful in another industry,which allows me to work 4 days a week and fly on fridays instructing and examining.

I have flown with and operated with ex RAF fast jet pilots test pilots and they have been the most unassuming and pleasant guys to work with. I have flown with many businessman(I am one too) some good some bad but always has amazed me how they tell me how successful they have been in business and then tell me how much money they spend on flying 100K for plane 15K IR 20K a year to run aircraft 3K on fuel for IFR flights of which maybe 4 or 5 trips a year furthest destinations they go could be reached by Ryanair or Easyjet for £100.00- that doesnt seem great business sense to me personally if you cost it out by the hour its pure madness in pusuit of a hobby, maybe sensible if you use ac for business but I tried that and rarely works specially in winter. You probably could charter a citation for what it cost and a 5 star hotel at the other end. But thats aviation I guess sense seems to go out of the window. Recently friend of mine successful businessman MBA etc threw all his money into flying operation because his ego new no boundaries and it folded leaving him bankrupt but in his other walks of life he would never had been so mad.

Dont get me wrong Ive thrown money at this game but I find you can go to far simple pleasures for me now Im spending Xmas helping student get through his nav exam because hes having trouble. Of course I could get caught out again as Im only young 47 but been flying for 30 years now so I have seen many financial disasters but also understand when aviation and a large salary or bank balance come into contact madness is usually not far behind. That includes commercial students, some have had great success though others not so lucky and parents still paying off mortgage. You have to be really careful.

(I do include me in the madness but I usually just think of my Wifes presence behind my shoulder when I make aviation decisions and her face after the moneys spent).

I always fancied helicopters but thats another story. And maybe discussed when my pension tax free cash comes my way.