PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning mistakes
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 13:54
hhobbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the OP has a flaw in his original premise - that pilots have an overriding interest in correcting their own mistakes. I think we have a greater-than-normal interest in correcting OTHERS' mistakes. We pore over accident reports and speculate as to what the incident pilot did wrong, say "There but for the grace of god", etc. But, when faced with direct criticism of our own actions, such as someone approaching you on the ramp after a flight, I think we take the feedback no better or worse than any other population - all based on the personalities involved in the conversation.
Can be true at times I concede. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say pilots ought have rather than do have an overriding interest in correcting their own mistakes, although many do have good skills in this regard. FAA training emphasised personality traits that lead to accidents. I googled "faa accident prone behavior" and got a lot of really useful hits. FAA AC 60-22 is good too. They state that good judgement can be taught, well I suppose better to let a, shall we say, "wrong personality type" know what to do and not do, rather than let him loose on us all. As for me, I'm a total saint so none of this applies here