PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 09:11
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work began yesterday on construction work at the airport industrial park that is named after the airport - ABZ. Claims it will create 2,000 jobs, with interest apparently already being shown in taking up space. In these austere times, I hope their estimates are correct! AND that the road system is improved to take account of the inevitable increase in traffic.

Was having a gander at the route map on the BAA Aberdeen site. It's probably been on there for some time, but I noticed some interesting potential locations that have not yet been served: in Asia - Shanghai & Bangkok(!); S America - Sao Paolo; Africa -Abidjan, Port Harcourt, Lagos, Johannesburg(!); USA - New York, Boston, Orlando, Houston. I wondered if this was some sort of wish list - certainly Houston & Dubai are - but coudn't make my mind up over whether they were merely putting these places on so that people could get their bearings when looking at the map! The fact they appear makes me think at least some of them are on the "wish list". How far away they are from reality? Who knows...I agree with CC - I doubt a 124m runway extension can be the only criteria. Some of those are clearly oil-related of course. And many of them may be too far out of reach...in reality as well as metaphorically!

Anything further about bmi Regional? Was a story recently about a name lodged at Companies House bearing the moniker Granite Airways (or Granite City Airways?) which was apparently lodged in July, so something presumably was afoot a lot further back than just this autumn.