PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making the leap from PPL to CPL
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2002, 08:52
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim_slag, I think your numbers are slightly wrong.

Firstly, Avgas in the UK is currently around £1/litre, or £4/US gallon, which works out at well over $6/gallon. Secondly, it is possible to do a module ATPL(f) course for around £30k, which is around $48k. Also, I suspect tax will need to be added to many of the US prices you're quoting - am I right in thinking you have to add tax to any solo time?

I'm not sure we're comparing apples with apples, anyway. A CPL on its own really is very little use in the UK. Most people like to quote figures for an ATPL(f), including a CPL, IR, multi-engine, and multi-crew cooperation course. I've included all of this in my £30K estimate (which is a minimum figure, by the way - but aren't all quotes for aviation training minimums? ) Can you clarify exactly what you'd get for $25K in the US?

I'm sure there are still some price discrepencies. I rented a PA18 in the US for around $60/hr+tax, it costs me £100/hr ($160) to rent the same aircraft at home. Given a fuel burn of 8 US gallons/hr, that accounts for $32 of the difference, the tax will acount for a little more, the fact that everything is more expensive in London than anywhere else in the UK, and my club isn't the cheapest in London, would account for some more (does anyone happen to know a rental price for a PA18 outside London?) That still leaves some of the difference to be accounted for - but I think the biggest single factor is the cost of fuel.

Cheers,

FFF
-----------