PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning mistakes
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 08:10
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have always been a proportion of people who have got rich through a degree of personal arrogance
In defence of the stereotype businessman learning to fly:

I've been a moderately successful businessman since 1978 and I think the often claimed idea of business/professional people refusing to take in instruction and getting killed in fast planes is more complex than it appears.

Sure some are arrogant but arrogance and aggression is sadly only just beneath the surface of modern society, at all levels of affluence.

Most of them are competent in getting stuff done. It's what they get paid for. So many people are so inept and useless (I spent much of yesterday talking to total d1ckheads in various finance companies on behalf of my mum who is in a care home) that I wonder who the hell recruited them. They also often pay c. £1000+/day for other forms of professionally delivered training. Then they turn up at the average flying school and what do they get? I know it varies but you get the idea. The schools are mostly set up to make a bit of money out of punters who are flat broke, and they mostly operate decrepit hardware which the aforementioned punter doesn't mind climbing into. They are not set up to deliver high quality training. So you get all sorts of problems. No wonder so many instructors so openly dislike business/professional people.

Also no bit of the civilian PPL training scene is set up to produce and support pilots who actually have the dosh to buy their own plane and go places in it. I was one of those back in 2002 and I never found an instructor who even knew how the KI-525 HSI worked, let alone the GPS, and you don't get much simpler than a KLN-94. The whole business hangs together only because the vast majority never do go anywhere. The RAF, OTOH, does train pilots to do the job because they have to.

The Cirrus business, under huge pressure from U.S. insurers, has got its act together and is offering some sort of post-PPL advanced training. But historically this never happened. Kennedy getting killed on a night flight (which is IMC, on a real night) is a common thing; he just happened to be famous. A pity he didn't do it in a Cirrus, eh? There is nothing unsafe about a Cirrus; it's just that Cirrus opened up a bit of a new market and historically most of the people flying them were well short of the training actually required, which shows up in the inept reasons for most of the chute pulls.

Most of the PPL community struggles with very low currency figures, but most of them are smart enough to be aware of this and they stick to simple short flights. It is those who manage to drag themselves out of that scene who have the problems. They fly with virtually no support, and it takes a pretty dedicated (to the point of obscession) pilot to keep up the learning process, diligently use the checklist, etc. And a % of them do get killed, which is no suprise at all. There is so much extra stuff to learn, and nobody is training it. It is up to the pilot to realise the shortfall and dig the stuff out all by himself.