PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Making the leap from PPL to CPL
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2002, 12:27
cinman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Making the leap from PPL to CPL

I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences to mine to date?

I am working through my PPL(A) at Biggin Hill and expect to complete by Summer '03. When done, I intend to move straight across the void to ATPL study, etc. until I achieve a frozen ATPL.

I find the following to be the case:

1. Money is the KEY enabler
2. Incrowd opportunity sharing
3. Element of elitism

I really do not mean to sound negative here, but training in the UK is absolutely proposterous - to the extent that its effectively reserved for the rich. Why is it so much cheaper abroad? Why is it over £2K for the ground study ATPL at CabAir when you can purchase all study materials from Oxford Aviation for £600?

Why do I get strange feedback from pilots who generally try to put me off?

I am 34yrs old and I suspect people misinterpret my fascination and career goals as some kind of early-middle aged wonderlust, but with kids, wife, mortgage, etc. there are enough hurdles already in the way without my apparent, soon-to-be colleagues trying to put me off.

When I qualify as a flight intructor, to share my experiences, build my hours and self-finance further training, I'll do absolutely everything I can to help wannabes to come up into the system - lets enjoy the experiences, the role, the knowledge, ultimately the flying and share it - not hog it and get all "ivory tower" about it - it only sends out the wrong message(s).

Anyway - that's my winge over for now - anyone want to help me find zillions of pounds to pay for the next bout of training? No? Thought not

As a matter of interest, does anyone train in a Robin 3000? I'm doing so from Biggin Hill and wondered if anyone had experiences to share? I'm 6.3hrs through the PPL(A) to date (delayed recently due to very bad stretch of weather).