PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meeting Virgin Blue Minimums
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2002, 10:55
BIK_116.80
on your FM dial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazon Man,

How can you determine someone's nationality over the radio?

Is it possible that you might be hastily pigeon-holing people based on their accents?

Although this method of geographical categorisation may be valid for people from small UK villages that have enjoyed the many benefits of 500 years of in-breeding, it is NOT a valid method to determine someone's nationality.

I suggest that the overwhelming majority of those you classify as Australian pilots are card carrying poms - it says so on the front of their British passport. The only difference is that they have had the advantage of a better up-bringing in Australia.

The reason that there are lots of Australian-trained pilots working in the UK (and in every other country in the world) is for the very simple reason that their skills are in demand. There is a shortage of skilled and experienced pilots in the UK (believe it or not) whilst there are a large number of highly skilled and highly experienced pilots in Australia.

I perceive very little demand for British pilots in Australia based simply on the supply and demand situation in the pilot employment market. A British pilot with 1,200 hours and average skills in the UK would expect to be flying a Boeing or an Airbus. In Australia they would be flying a 1974 Chieftain and trying very hard to get an interview for a Dash 8 co-pilot job. Why would they bother to emigrate?

"Most British pilots think the UK system is silly also but we are stuck with it..."

What a defeatist attitude. But I guess that comes with the territory.