PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - concerning mistakes
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 13:07
hhobbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bit of a conundrum really. Many high achievers (pilots) are at the same time often perceived as egotistical, arrogant even, or am I only talking about the ones that are heading to the scene of their accident?

But unless you really are perfect, you are going to need a measure of humility which is I suppose an interesting source of psychological tension within the individual.

Is introspection, and the ability to self-correct a desirable characteristic of a successful pilot? - was what I had hoped to elicit. OTOH I developed these traits before commencing training, and they probably did augment the ability to behave safely. What I wonder about is does the reverse effect also occur, has learning to fly had benefit in other areas of life? But no, I don't check my car much more often.

I think I intend becoming an old rather than a bold aviator. Hmm is 60 old? Nearly made it!! Probably there is a spectrum of personality types, both with ability, but some better able to continue to learn the stuff that keeps you alive.