PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reminds you of what?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 06:09
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not the fault of the foreign controller who has limited English. It's the fault of the non-standard pilot.
Complete rubbish. Most people know english by commonly used language. That is why it is recommended that you speak in a way that will get your message across. Half of the terminology that you call "standard RT" would be completely unknown to many controllers in other countries.

Witnessed this in Indonesia with an anal Bifo trying to explain to ATC that we wanted to start one at the gate. After about 5 minutes of back and forth, the controller gave up and said approved - without really knowing what it was this **** wanted to do.

It was fun to watch though, I never knew someone's face could change color so much. Poor ol' guy certainly had a lot to say about how bad the controller's RT was. I'm sure he felt great and superior, but the end result was that the message was not received. To me, he has lost sight of the big picture.

Communication is a two way street, you have to be able to pick up on the cues when your message is not getting across. That to me, is way more important than standard RT. And if there is any doubt, then you should receive confirmation, hopefully in a separate round-about way without providing the answer to the controller (say again please?). If this requires non-standard lingo, then so be it.