PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 17:27
easyflyer83

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3/4 Last wave arrivals and first wave departures are airbridge (B & C Pier) with 2nd/3rd wave generally all B pier with steps. As Easyjet exapands, and as we have seen there seems to be uncertainty as to when (not if), we may see a greater variation of stands.

B Pier isn't the best but IMO the worst about it is the exterior, particularly on the West side. Inside it's not too bad, if a little cramped at certain times. Remember from the mid 90's-around 2005 much of this pier was regional jets to which it is well suited.

That said, many on here probably misjudge what many passengers deem as being important. Despite the Shopping Mall quips and comments, shops, retail, eateries is what many passengers want from the airport experience and T1 does this very well. The actual departure lounge is great and after flying out of T3 with two different airlines many, particularly leisure pax, commented on the lack of facilities and retail in that terminal.

So what can be done about the piers? We all agree they aren't ideal. The current economic climate and the absence of a magic wand probably means we won't see a complete rebuild anytime soon. But some of the older airbridges could be replaced as they are a disgrace and there could be an effort to make both piers more aesthetically pleasing both internally and externally. Going downstairs and upstairs isn't any great hardship, for those that find it difficult generally have special assistance anyway.

A big glass pier B & C would be great, make no mistake about it....a proud piece of architecture. But would I say the current piers are an embarrassment? If i'm being honest i'd say I was indifferent and you'll find that the same goes for many of the airports passengers and it's not like the whole airport is a dump.

Rest assured though, the piers will have to be done eventually just not in the short/mid term.