PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air China makes headlines again
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2011, 11:30
cargo boy
I've only made a few posts so I don't feel the need to order a Personal Title and help support PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typical of some who are just enthusiasts and have very little real understanding of real life flight operations to cast criticism without all the facts.

Landing with 6,000lb (2,700kg), whilst low and most definitely below final reserve for the B744, is not exclusive to Chinese pilots. It has happened in a B744 for a well known EU airline during a recent Caribbean bad wx diversion and no doubt similarly to many other operators, irrespective of their nationality.

If the decision to divert is justified and due to circumstances results in a safe landing but below final reserve fuel, then after any investigation, the lessons will be learnt and hopefully avoided in the future. To cast aspersions on a 'chinese' crew (could have been expats, do we really know, or care?) without knowing the circumstances just shows an immature and less than basic knowledge of what really goes on with the airlines.

Anticipating landing with less than your company minimum reserve requires, in the EU, a PAN or in the US a minimum fuel advisory. Expecting a landing with less than final reserve requires an immedate mayday and top priority for a landing.

Having landed a B744 with final reserve after diverting (3,700kg 8,100lb) in the USA, I can attest that it is not a comfortable feeling, particularly so if the wx is less than CAVOK. Had the wx been less than ideal causing arrival delays, I have no doubt we would have been declaring a mayday

Considering the B744 burns around 2,500kg (5,500lb) an hour at ground idle, never mind the burn during a go-around, any midssed approach at or below final reserve fuel would require an extremely tight circuit and a commited landing.