PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for ATC Australia
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2011, 03:38
benharris10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, I didn't think it was there but was curious when I read the article.

Out of curiosity, would it be helpful from a controllers point of view? IE, Brisbane for example, could you now start to plan which inbound aircraft are likely to require weather diversions and possibly plan accordingly?

Theoretically it wouldn't be that hard to do, the boys at AVPLAN (ipad app) can do it on a track and that is on an IPAD with an expandable scale....

I understand that weather avoidance would (and should) still be completely up to the pilot, but it could be helpful.

I also noticed the following in the Jeppesen Documents ( ATC-112)

8.12 Weather Radar
8.12.1 Weather radar data derived from BoM radar sites is displayed at various ATS working positions by means of a PC based system known within Airservices as METRAD, and within the military as RAPIC.
8.12.2 METRAD / RAPIC images are not 'real time' but are the results of a ten minute update cycle. The most effective range of the radars is up to 75NM
8.12.3 Weather radar sites, which may be utilized by ATS are shown below (Diagram in Jepps). Weather radar information within 75NM of radar sites is available to pilots, subject to ATS workload on request
8.12.4 When providing METRAD/RAPIC information to pilots, ATS officers will use the prefix " MET RADAR DISPLAY INDICATES"
Is that the display that le Pingouin is talking about?