PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters in movies: aerial filming techniques
Old 1st Dec 2011, 09:35
chopper2004

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts
Spy Game 2001

500 Fan

I had a brochure from Flying Pictures several years ago Also a great source of interest is the extras on the Robert Redford / Brad Pitt motion picture Spy Game whereby they do an interview with Marc Wolff on set in Morocco where they used a few Hueys, a Mil-2 Hoplite, AS350 B3 for aerial filming. Interesting enough the film had an few historical factual errors, one of which came out in the interview withTony Scott during the aerial sequences. He said that the Viet Cong didnt have any helos at all but they decided to throw in the Hoplite during the assasination sequence. However the North Vietnamese Air Force did have a Mil-4 according to my Aircraft of the Vietnam Handbook .

Plus the dates were mixed up as at the beginning the screen shot which depicted Hong Kong, said Hong Kong, China yet the film was set in 1991 6 years before the handover. I could understand if the film was set in 2001.

Also again with dates, it said Da Nang firebase April 1975, Da Nang air base had long gone by 1975 for sure.

Also the Huey used in the movie was not the standard army UH-1D/H as the tail rotor was located on the starboard side of the tail as in Super Huey / USAF HH-1H version.

Beyond that its a good movie.