PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet Pilot Recruitment 2012
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2011, 22:39
Robert G Mugabe

I do not share Mr Mugabe's views and can only back easyJet's willingnes to take on new bases which may or may not work. Hardly any airline has made a success of a NCL base - it is a miracle we still have one working at the moment, and we should rejoice at the efforts being made. I hope that it may expand rather than contract, but time will tell.
I rejoiced at the efforts made at Dortmund and East Midland . NCL had 6 to 7 Orange Aircraft less than 3 years ago,there are now 3 ,which coincidentally is the same amount East Midland and Dortmund had when they were closed.

Southend will have 3 aircraft based from crews and airframes taken from STN.

LIS will have 3 aircraft based.

All I am saying is that easyjet have form with closing unproductive bases and 3 frames seems to be the magic number.

As for pilots input. The management do not take account of pilots input at all. They just require financial savings ( Fuel ) and statistical improvements ( OTP ) in order to prove to institutional investors that the company is worth investing in. Those are this years aims. Might change next year.

With regard to giving people the chance of employment. When I joined I was employed by easyjet and time barred for 3 years. They took the financial risk and thus were more reticent about who they employed ( please note I am not talking about competence). Now the candidate takes all of the financial risk so the company can hire/ contract any thing/person they want because it does not effect them. Or so they thought....

Following several incidents we have more restrictive limits placed on new pilots. However here is the rub it is more cost effective ( insurance wise ) to do this and pay for additional recency requirements than to pay for full easyjet employees.

If you join for the Lisbon base you will be a second class easyjet citizen. You will more than likely be a contractor if joining from outside and if you are mad enough to change from another easyjet position you will be accepting poorer terms and conditions. Management have accepted that they can only get you back to the country you joined from if it does not work. Not even your existing base.

It is only a two year contract after all so you take the risk.

That said look after your family. Do not give a monkeys about the existing pilots concerns because the body tasked and paid for with that ( BALPA ) has been remiss and inept in allowing the present state of affairs. Company Reps taking management positions. LGW .Regional members being the first to sell their 5/4/5/3 for flexible rosters over the summer. Another discussion for another day...

Do not think that you are joining a family if you are joining easyjet. you are more like the hired help and will be got rid of when the time is right.

Your choice.