PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Club Styles
Thread: Club Styles
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2011, 19:18
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreeing with the above - you know you're going to get one of possibly 3 examiners, so you teach to their standards, then brief the student beforehand on anything specific you know they will look for.

I moved from teaching at a club to an FTO. At the club we were left to do what we wanted - to a degree - which was great. We all taught to the same standard, but often taught different methods to achieve the same goal. Now at a larger FTO everything has to be standardised, and I'm in trouble if I teach the wrong method (E.g point and power rather than attitude for speed and power for glide on approach).

I've also met instructors and examiners who see anything other than their method as completely wrong. Often the hot topics are use of carb heat, cct size and shape, approach method, and getting back on track on navigation.

The standards document is there, so all exams should be to the same standard, it's just different examiners will pick up on very small things.

There is a big difference because the student (or customer) is usually very different. An aspirational 18 year old hoping to go commercial should be taught differently than a 40 something who is likely to buy his own tail dragger as soon as he's got his licence. Their flying after the licence will be very different.