PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARBON TAX-It's Started!
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2011, 00:51
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captain Dart, I have no idea.

Unlike others, I do not pretend to make arguments on topics about which I have no clue. I merely state the scientific facts. I do not know much about the economic facts and how these might tie into the equation. To even begin worrying about that, you have to acknowledge the scientific facts first (my opinion only).

Originally Posted by lodown
And another recent climate change hit. The wheels are falling off the fear jalopy:
Quote:
Whoo boy… just a few days ago it was argued in a new peer reviewed paper published in Science that climate sensitivity might be lower than the IPCC stated in AR4.
Thankyou lodown. I was wondering just yesterday how long it would take for a "sceptic" to pin that one up here. One of the problems with fake-sceptics is that they read the headlines, but not the article, even when their very own source undermines their basic arguments that global warming is not an issue! So I'm curious - why exactly would you link to a Wattasupwiththat article which actually links to a science news article and peer-reviewed paper that quite clearly concludes that it is happening and it will be a serious problem, but that we just have a little more time to deal with it?

The lead scientist of this study is Professor Andreas Schmittner, College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences, Oregon State University and he has very good scientific credentials. So what does Professor Schmittner have to say about his own study? And why are sceptics ignoring what Schmittner says about his own paper when they post the headlines up? I think we're about to find out why.......

Schmittner:
“When we first looked at the paleoclimatic data, I was struck by the small cooling of the ocean,” Schmittner said. “On average, the ocean was only about two degrees (Celsius) cooler than it is today, yet the planet was completely different – huge ice sheets over North America and northern Europe, more sea ice and snow, different vegetation, lower sea levels and more dust in the air.

“It shows that even very small changes in the ocean’s surface temperature can have an enormous impact elsewhere, particularly over land areas at mid- to high-latitudes,” he added.

Schmittner said continued unabated fossil fuel use could lead to similar warming of the sea surface as reconstruction shows happened between the Last Glacial Maximum and today.

"Hence, drastic changes over land can be expected,” he said. “However, our study implies that we still have time to prevent that from happening, if we make a concerted effort to change course soon.”
Now lodown, I have sat here and read, and re-read, and re-re-read that article and Schmittner's accompanying paper a few times over, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how it supports the sceptical argument that:

a) global warming isn't happening
b) if it is, it's not a big deal

Can anyone, anyone at all on Pprune, explain to me why a sceptic would post a link stating that "the wheels are falling off" that then proceeds to undermines their entire argument?