PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Magnus Bentley & Les Moss: RIP
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2011, 23:55
Phil Kemp

Location: Sussex, New Brunswick. Formerly Bowen Island B.C. Canada - one of the greatest places to live on Earth...
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What sad, sad, news. I had the great pleasure of working and being friends with both Les Moss and Magnus Bentley during the early days of my career in Sumburgh.

I was on the same shift as Les and he was always an entertaining and humourous, if sometimes blunt individual. He was a hard worker with an extraordinary knowledge and interest in anything mechanical. I can remember many entertaining evenings at the Sumburgh Social Club, Sumburgh Hotel, Scatness and Hardbrakes with him and various other reprobates. I learned very early on not to pace myself with him at a party!
Very sad news indeed, and my symapthy goes to his family. Although I only remember the kids as babies - I do recall the epic party in the Social Club to celebrate the birth of his first born - amazing that I (or anyone else) might have any recollection of that night!

I have known Magnus Bentley all my life; ever since I was a small child - he lived just up the road at Hestingott. Magnus was a few years older than me, and was one of the guys involved in all the farming activities that occupied us all at that time. I was always envious that he got to drive the tractors, because he was older than us. He was involved in a lot of operations around the construction and expansion of the Sumburgh Airport, before he came to Bristows running the pax handling operations at the old terminal, then becoming an Ops Manager. Intelligent, organized, hardworking and with a fabulous sense of humour, Magnus was one of those people who could get anything done - and always with that great can-do attitude.

He thrived in his work, and sometimes it seemed to be difficult to separate his life from his work. He garnered great respect and co-operation from everyone who worked with him and I think it was because he genuinely enjoyed his work and the people he came in contact with. I last saw Magnus a couple of years ago in Aberdeen and he was going to come out for a beer on the way out from work, but had to cancel due to some dilemma that required resolution. It was a great privilege to have known him and I will always have fond memories of the old days at Sumburgh, and the people that made it such a great experience and great place. Sympathies to all the family.

Two great people, sadly gone too soon.