PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E-3
Thread: E-3
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2002, 03:53
Magic Mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F3SS,

You're are quite correct of course ref our current sunny det location! My implication was that most of our nominated bad guys happen to eat kebabs. In no way did I mean to suggest that we should launch TLAM strikes against every spotty 19 year old youth who happens partake of a kebab when he falls out of the local club at 2am on a Saturday! That would be kebabist!!!

Mark

You're right, the old 707 airframe is showing its age a tad. Although our E-3D's were all new build frames and are just over 10 years old, the technology is already causing problems with their upkeep. And all the JSTARS are VERY old ex airline jets. However, it doesn't really bother us about loiter. The E-3D/CFM-56 mix enables us to fly high enough and most certainly long enough over Afghanistan in our present op of choice!

However, the Spams are examining a 767 based Multi Role Command and Control Aircraft (MRC2A) that will replace E-3, E-8 and RC-135 variants. They are undecided as to whether it'll have all systems on one platform (to enable all roles to be done simultaneously), or to have reconfigurable sub variants of a basic type. Personally, I'll be very surprised if they go for the former as the different roles have differnt orbit requirements. Whatever they get will also be heavily augmented by the Global Hawk or similar UAVs.

Regards
M2

Last edited by Magic Mushroom; 9th Nov 2002 at 09:54.