PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Questions (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2011, 14:18
cyrilroy21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@B737NG & PT6A

In order to obtain an RTR ( A ) license one has to clear both part 1 of the exam and part2 which is an oral exam .

Its conducted by the ministry of communications the WPC wing .

The people who set the questions and conduct the exam are not pilots . This department has no relation to the DGCA or the ministry of civil aviation .
They are usually electrical engineers who work for the Ministry and have never talked on an aircraft radio before
Yet they set the questions ( very weird questions infact ) and you are expected to answer them according to their methods .

One needs very specific coaching in order to pass this kind of exams .
I took coaching from MK Singh . One of things he told us was to use the word " HEAVY " at the end of your call sign if your aircraft was an AIRBUS A320 or BOEING 737 or bigger . You will receive two marks for this if you do so .

Another question that i had was
Q. You are overflying Goa . Take Action

As you can see the answers are very specific in nature . When i was in class there was candidates from air force pilots to airline captains attending the classes . These pilots talk on the aircraft radio as part of their profession everyday and are yet unable to clear the part 1 exam and have to take coaching classes .
This is because the engineers at the WPC set the questions and expect very specific answers to their questions than the real answer

Why not sit and study and clear it at the license issuing Authority
Part 1 of the exam is not something that you can just open a book and study by yourself .
Hence the reason why lots of pilots both experienced or otherwise find it very difficult to clear .

We all wish that things work that way in Indian Aviation where you study for it and are rewarded accordingly but the RT exam is purely at the whim and fancy of the govt engineer who corrects your paper .

Trust me you dont want to know the kind of questions they ask in part 2 of the exam .