PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express' landing woes continue..
Old 26th Nov 2011, 17:34
ricfly744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once aborted a landing (in a B733) from about 20 ft AGL, in similar crosswind due to turbulence caused by a hill near by. I just could not be certain that I would not get another down drift after cutting back thrust to flare, and was considering the possibility of an uncontrolled bounced landing, if that happened. It was not nice. Diverted and returned 2h later after wind eased.

In another similar situation, this time in a B757, cross wind/gust was within limits, however: VOR/NIGHT/BLACK HOLE/ RAIN/Limit Cross wind +GUST/Short/downhill (RWY 32, Foz do Iguaçu - Brazil), at about 100' I just felt I was not confident enough to continue, and aborted. Second try, wind shear, another G/A. The FO got so nervous that he just could not respond to my instructions and set the CDU to the diversion airport. He was emotionally incapacitated. After landing in the alternate, we still had many hours duty time to return after improvements, but the FO said he was not feeling fit to continue. Duty pilot was called and did not push for the continuation, supporting the decision to cancel the flight, and send about 200 PAX to hotel.

In these 2 events, destination was always within operational limits. I still feel I failed as a pilot, as I could not land in acceptable conditions, but I would do it again as I did.

Should a PIC force a landing even in conditions considered within operational limits if he does not feel comfortable? Looking at the ATIS/METAR at the moment, would suggest I was a failure as a pilot or PIC, as there was no reason to divert. Some times we just don't feel comfortable/confident, and the limitation may not be the wind or any other but our own, and that must also be respected. I have dared many times, been to the limit other many times, had done it again and again, but those 2 times, I just felt I couldn't do it.

Last edited by ricfly744; 26th Nov 2011 at 17:46.