PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARBON TAX-It's Started!
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2011, 16:48
kotoyebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peterc005 et al,

I'm asking this question in all seriousness. What are you doing to completely eliminate you and your family's carbon foot print.

I'm paraphrasing Tim Flannery here, but he stated that if no more man made CO2 was put into the atmosphere, it would take up to 1000 years for the CO2 to start coming down. The system is that slow. I'm assuming Tim Flannery knows what he is talking about, as he is a government employee hired to explain to the public the need for climate change action, and you all support the government taking action.

Now if I understand the message you and the government are telling us, then 1000 years will be way too late, and the earth will have runaway climate change. I think we all can say that the carbon tax in Australia will make very little difference to the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere. This action is knowhere near enough as advised by Tim Flannery.

So I would expect you to lead by example and completely eliminate your carbon footprint. I'm interested in how you are going about this. For example, the airline industry is supposed to be one of the more carbon intensive industries (something like 3% of man made CO2 output), so it surprises me that Dutchroll has in his profile that he is a commercial pilot.

I know we all contribute to man made CO2, but if it's so urgent to take action, then surely you as people who have studied the science (you certainly sound like you have, and good on you if you have) then you will be leading by example?