PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express' landing woes continue..
Old 24th Nov 2011, 20:05
Slickster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The limits for autoland depend on which system is installed, we have 25kts cross for normal autolands and 20kts for OEI autoland.
Fair enough. I didn't know any 737 was capable of it, and would would rather watch a 737 attempting a 25kt crosswind autoland from the ground, to be honest.

One of the reasons for the limitations of my CAT3A 737 is the rudder. The autopilot does not use it, and just lands with the drift on. Having seen how the automatics cope on windy days, I'm not sure all huffing and puffing the autoflight system does (pitch power couple/autothrust/trim), can solely be laid at the feet of some box of tricks in the E and E bay.

For the record, my airline's limit for a manual landing on the 737 is 40kts, and I have had to do it, 3 times in a day sometimes. No heroics, but I wouldn't call it easy either. It's just what is expected of me, by my employers, and passengers, on occasion. Call me a control freak, but I'm not going to sit and watch the autopilot make a hash of it; the limits for autoland are always more limiting in the perf manual than for a man land, except for poor visibility, for which it was designed.