PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF - - > Airline
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2002, 10:19
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
Quite right, mbfc, A320_Murray, you MUST show considerably greater motivation to be accepted. When did you first want to fly a military jet? I trace my enthusiasm back to when I fired my first rocket from a Hawker Hunter - at the age of 5 across the floor of the Shrubbery Hotel in Ilminster under the friendly gaze of a Hunter pilot friend of my father. Well - it was actually only a red plastic toy Hunter! I was in the CCF at school (there wasn't an RAF section, unfortunately), did some gliding, applied for an RAF Scholarship at the age of 15 and was then taught to fly Cessna 150s for 30 hours 2 years later before going to Cranwell. What have you done to convince a prospective employer that you're genuinely motivated? Think hard - and act accordingly. Best of luck though, mate!

If you do apply:

1. Aim to join as a pilot. Nothing else. Period.
2. Make it your ambition to fly TypHoon or F35. If I were you, I'd go for F35!
3. If you get downstreamed to ME, go for any option you're offered.
4. Don't even think about the airlines until you're in your early-to-mid 30s with at least 2000 hrs.
5. It won't then cost much to obtain your ATPL. I did an IR in the VC10 for £578, the ATPL issue fee was another £176. Didn't need to take Air Law as I already had a UK professional licence which I was upgrading.

DO NOT make the mistake of thinking that the RAF is but a stepping stone to the airlines. Be prepared to give your all for 10-15 years, then if you want to go, the airline world will be your lobster!

Last edited by BEagle; 8th Nov 2002 at 10:31.