PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways expansion plans - 60/70 expat captains required .
Old 24th Nov 2011, 14:23
27ace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My two cents worth...
Whereas KQ may, and is willing to hire expatriate captains, they have a mountain to climb to get it done.
Firstly, the KCAA demands a conversion of any foreign ATPL licence to a kenyan one to operate Kenyan registered aircraft. This involves I believe that one sits one ATPL conversion exam, and does a flight test. Previously one required only to sit an airlaw exam, but under the KCARS I believe this has changed. Be prepared to part with about US$ 3,000 under the table to pass this exam. The process to convert your licence should take about 3 months, give or take.
Secondly, KQ or Kenyan pilots do not control Kenya's immigration laws regarding work permits. The Kenyan law is clear that a foreigner may only obtain a work permit, if in employment, for a one year renewable period. During that one year period, the employer must take steps to TRAIN at least one kenyan citizen to an equivalent level. The cost of an annual work permit is about US$ 2,000 to be borne by the employer, plus considerable payments under the table to concerned immigration officials.
Thirdly, the unemployment levels of Kenyan youth is so high, that the employment of foreigners will be a particularly highly emotional and highly unpopular political move for the concerned politicians who will have to endorse such a policy change. The last time such a move was considered, KALPA successfully lobbied the politicians and easily won.
Finally, KQ can hardly be described as a young airline.It has been operating largely for at least the past 20 years with a fleet of about 20 to 25 aircraft, mix of narrow and wide body aircraft, and has been operating even sophisticated Boeing 777-200 for the past 8 years. The average FO in KQ has passed through the Boeing 737, 767 and 777 before qualifying for command. They then get a chance to have a first command on the Embrear 170/190 series. It seems to me that whereas they may not be enough FO's ready to fill the left hand seats, the few they have are quite experienced and have a solid foundation to command.
There are also several captains in Kenya rated on modern (and not so modern) jet aircraft flying for regional operators who are well experienced, and may also require a short time in the right seat before they can transition to captains.