PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express' landing woes continue..
Old 24th Nov 2011, 13:16
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prober
What an arrogant statement in #63 by JammedStab. Maybe you have not encountered anything more than 30kts during your career. Must have had a pretty sheltered life! Also, you SHOULD have some interest in such a situation. What would you do if you were faced with, say, 65kts cross - without any option? I can assure you that when that happens, and you have no choice, you do not have much time to consider whether or not you are a 'super hero'. You were obviously not flying into LHR on the morning of 16 Oct 87. I did not have a jammed stab, but I did have a "Rudder Ratio" on short finals. Super hero did not come into it, but professionalism did (and ATIS was not much help).
Prober
a) I'm not sure why you would start talking about my life in this discussion.
b) I have more than once decided not to land somewhere due to wind strngth and direction.
c) I have never encountered a situation where the forecast wind was anywhere near 65 knots, but if I did, I would make sure that I had good alternates a reasonable distance away from 65 knots in any direction relative to the runway. A good idea even if it is only forecast at 30 knots even if alternate limits are not listed as being based on winds.
d) I have no idea what happened in Heathrow on 16 Oct 87, but apparently you think very highly of yourself for whatever you did after running out of options. 65 knots crosswind I suppose and no doubt at 90 degrees.
e) There is another post about not knowing even a quarter of what happened. Well tell us then instead of little bits and bites. Give us the details of route, city pair, A/C type, fuel, forecasts, enroute weather checks made, weather at other locations, when you realized that you were out of options etc. And finally, your landing and rollout technique in case it happens to us.

Last edited by JammedStab; 24th Nov 2011 at 13:48.