PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas:After The Dust Has Settled
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2011, 09:24
DirectAnywhere

Received 172 Likes on 37 Posts
Back on the topic, assuming Alan's plan is not to completely gut and destory QANTAS (I grant you an assumption that may be totally erroneous), the company's pretty much screwed anyway.

The staff simply aren't listening anymore. They have no interest in what management has to say. The level of apathy is tragic and telling and bodes poorly for the future of the organistaion should it survive the current ructions. It's an insult to their skills anyway but many S/Os don't seem to be interested in getting a "sector" anymore. The attitude is simply, "Why should I bother when I won't get a promotion for 10 years if I'm lucky enough to have a job after arbitration?". An attitude that is - sadly - perfectly understandable. (The debate on the definition of a "sector" for a S/O is best held elsewhere. As I said it's an insult anyway).

It's not just the pilots either. The level of antipathy present amongst staff at all levels and in all areas of the company towards managment is truly mind blowing.

In short, current senior management have no hope whatsoever of re-engaging with their frontline staff. Never. Ever. Full stop. Forget Excel awards or Q-Recognition or whatever it's called this week. Alan, your staff are lost to you.

That may be part of the plan to shut down QANTAS Airways and leave only a holding company behind but, if it is not, the board needs to start looking at options and soon.