PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are the AME apprentices?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 21:35
Jack Ranga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
putting that in perspective, a 2nd year gardener got more a week then me as a 3rd year avionics apprentice.
A first year garbage collector got more than me when I was in the 4th year of my apprenticeship. I got more than him in about the 2nd year of my trade when I headed off to the big smoke. And a lot more in the years after.

It's generational thing. And I'm not having a crack at gen y, it's my generation and the generation before me that set you up for this fall. Apprenticeships lead to other career choices, apprenticeships teach critical, practical thinking that will lead to even more career choices. They also teach you how to manage money, a skill that is sadly lacking in the current generation. Once again, not having a crack but Mummy and Daddy have set you up by giving you everything you ever asked for.

Money management: The boys that used to come into town for TAFE from Bourke and Bre used to give blood on the Thursday to get a hotdog and milkshake. They'd go hungry on Friday and make it home on Saturday for a feed.