PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety culture at EK
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 16:55
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g109

Depending on what you're used to, EK's safety culture may be worse or it may be better than other airlines.

The Company claims to operate a non punitive safety reporting culture and to many extents, that's true. We have our own aircraft monitoring systems in place and crews may well be 'debriefed' by both Flight Safety and Fleet if there are concerns regarding infringement of specific flight parameters. There are various means to report safety concerns, including confidential safety reports, but the ASR system is the main form for highlighting safety concerns. These reports are de identified and available to all pilots and senior management. They are published weekly. Cabin crew have a similar system and although there have been over 10 inadvertent slide deployments within the last year, nobody has been fired or received a written warning. Some of these deployments have been caused by Flight Crew.

Regarding the comment from the previous poster, yes, several crew were dismissed before a full investigation was undertaken. This was several years ago and pilots were being fired quicker than it takes a vindaloo to go from plate to porcelain. MEL was one such example but whilst I agree that the handling of the incident was a disgrace, the outcome was inevitable. MAN was a different case altogether and reflected the weak and ineffective power that even a DSVP can weald when confronted by a determined yet ignorant boss. However, in recent times there has been no such action, which is perhaps a credit to flight ops management. There have been several cases of aircraft departing from the paved surface as well as a few more serious events which i'm not prepared to discuss on this forum. So far, nobody has been fired or asked to resign. ( Personal issues/ unacceptable behaviour aside)

If the Company were to have continued it's obligatory dismissals, many new joiners would not have come and many EK experienced pilots would be actively looking elswhere.

My personal take on it is simple. If you fly within SOP's and use airmanship when required you'll be fine, although i'm sure that there are some on this forum who'd beg to disagree.