PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARBON TAX-It's Started!
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2011, 03:41
De_flieger

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
She may fly "Jul-Air" but I think you mightve been going for "Juliar" ! You're right, at the next election people get their say. Neither party holds a monopoly on broken promises though, whether its to never introduce a carbon tax, never ever introduce a GST, the list goes on. "Playing the man", saying its a bad idea because it came from Labour, is introduced by a redhead who you dont like the look of or who has a voice that makes your hair stand on end, is failing to think about the issues involved.

Do you think Tony Abbott will be able to repeal the many different laws and also remove the tax and pension changes and rebates put in place to help the average and lower income earners, or will unscrambling that particular egg turn out to be a "non-core promise"? I can see the headlines now, either sad-looking pensioners having their payments reduced, or Mr Abbott explaining how legally he didn't realise how complex it all was from Opposition, and how the bad, evil carbon tax brought on by those ratbags will have to stay, but he'll keep the votes against it that brought him to power. Its very easy from Opposition to say "we'll repeal it, roll it back, undo these laws", and the oldest trick in the book to get into power then "discover" a budget black hole, costings issue or legal problems that mean you cant do what was promised, but blame it on the other guys who have just been given a kicking by the electorate. I think Mr Abbott will be happy to take the protest votes, but once he's in power his tune will change very rapidly. Also, a couple of years from now when it is election time and the sky hasnt fallen in a lot of people will have moved onto other issues and the election could well be decided on them instead.