PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low Hour FO positions...
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 20:30
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Trim Stab
That is not correct. Keep a log of your "unloggable" hours in a separate logbook. I would much prefer to employ an FO who had 1000 "unloggable" hours on a King Air, than some rich kid who had a daddy-paid type rating and the regulatory minimum "loggable" sim-hours on type.
I agree. Real world operational experience is gold. The 250 hr wannabe's straight out of the colleges don't have a clue how aircraft are operated in the real world and they have to be carried by their Captains until they do.

I am on my 5th flying job. My career was instructing, airtaxi, commuter airline, corporate, and now specialty ops (fire bombing). Every job I got was through word of mouth contacts and the last three were out of the blue calls from persons I knew who gave me an inside steer to an unadvertised job opening.

I predict your first corporate job will have its origin in a casual un-planned conversation that at the time did not seem that important. Work hard, don't complain and keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut. When an outfit is looking for a "good guy" you want to be the one they think about.