PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 8
Thread: MANCHESTER - 8
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2011, 13:01
Suzeman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metrolink Access to MAN

Some while ago somebody raised the issue of works on Ringway Rd west for Metrolink and noted completion was slated for 2016

I've found some plans of what is proposed here

e-Document - 097675-dph-0001.pdf

e-Document - 097675-dpp-0007.pdf

and some words from one of the planning documents

The proposed Metrolink route runs north-south adjacent to Shadowmoss Road then turns through 90 degrees to head west parallel with Ringway Road. It runs in a cutting at this turning to achieve the minimum clearance required for the Take off Climb Surface (TOCS) for Manchester Airport.

The Metrolink then climbs up to ground level after the TOCS zone and continues westwards at existing ground level in the space between Ringway Road and Aviator Way. It then dives down immediately west of Woodhouse Lane to pass under the revised alignment for Ringway Road before terminating at a new stop adjacent to the existing heavy railway station at Manchester Airport.

The highway works involve:
· Extending the existing dual carriageway from Aviator Way Roundabout to
Shadowmoss Road.
· Removing the Aviator Way Roundabout and providing a new access to Aviator Way, off the new dual carriageway.
· Altering the vertical profile of the new dual carriageway to accommodate the
new underpass for the Metrolink.

So the tram is now going under Ringway Road and into the station - I believe originally that it was going to be a crossing on the level which would have caused a bit of excitement at peak times

Ringway Road is to become a dual carriageway from Shadow Moss Rd and the Aviator Way junction will move further west and change from a roundabout to a lights controlled junction.

At Shadowmoss Rd the junction will move east to allow the tram to swing round the corner. Interestingly the tram is going in a cutting to miss the TOCS, but the new Shadow Moss Road will be in it. I assume frangible lamp posts etc here don't count in this situation?

So looks like a lot of work to be done - happy days for those of you using this road until 2016

Suzeman